Their Relatives Were Black Heroes. They Fear the Military Won’t Celebrate Their Stories Anymore.

When Tarence Bailey Sr. received a formal memo from the Maryland National Guard declining to support a celebration for Frederick Douglass on Saturday, it felt personal.

Not only because Bailey is a descendant of the famous abolitionist, but he is also a veteran who served for 10 years as an enlisted Guardsman with the same reserve component. Douglass’ importance to the civil rights movement is well known, but he was also one of the military’s most prominent recruiters, helping to grow the ranks of the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment, which was one of the first Black units to fight in the Civil War.

The Maryland National Guard, along with an honorary living history unit from that same Massachusetts regiment rallied by Douglass more than 160 years ago, were ultimately barred earlier this month from participating in the famous orator’s birthday. Pentagon guidance under Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth — and President Donald Trump — now orders that the military “must decline events” that celebrate “individuals based all or in part on immutable characteristics.”

“For them to say, you know, we’re not celebrating that pretty much because he’s Black, and it’s Black History month — he’s a patriot,” Bailey told Military.com in an interview. “He’s a patriot first, and his whole family are patriots first.”

Bailey’s frustrations aren’t unique. Those concerns have grown and are now shared by several relatives of famous Black military figures who spoke with Military.com in interviews. They fear that, due to Hegseth’s directions under the guidance of Trump’s executive orders, their personal family histories and their sacrifices and contributions may be taken out of public view and praise.

On the campaign trail, Trump promised to restore the names of military bases back to those of Confederate generals. Hegseth signed a memo reverting Fort Liberty to the name of Fort Bragg. While originally named for Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg, the defense secretary instead named it for a service member with the same last name.

Trump promised to rid the military of what he deemed “woke” policies, which led Hegseth to issue the memo declaring celebrations of identity months — such as Black History month in February — as “dead.”

Early into his tenure, Hegseth, after ordering a review of any material that may have promoted diversity, paused lessons related to the historic Tuskegee Airmen. Following public outcry, including from Republican lawmakers, the defense secretary reversed course and made sure the lessons remained, although reportedly not all of the curriculum was added back.

Relatives of Black historic figures said the Defense Department’s present efforts are aiming to sideline many of those past stories they grew up hearing about their loved ones, and they fear that it will be the military itself that will ultimately suffer by hiding those accomplishments.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *